AHA Releases Report, Resources on Telehealth
March 01, 2019
The American Hospital Association (AHA) Center for Health Innovation released the second in a series of new market intelligence tools for hospital and health system leaders. Telehealth: A Path to Virtual Integrated Care is based on information and insights from interviews with hospital and health system leaders and other health care experts, surveys of hospital and health systems, and a number of health care reports and research articles.
The report examines:
- How telehealth is part of a digital-health revolution
- The flexibility of delivery platforms and how they fit into integrated care
- Why telehealth is critical to health care transformation
- The current state of telehealth and opportunities for growth in hospitals
- How hospitals and health systems can build capacity to expand access, improve outcomes, and reduce costs
Health care provider groups across the state—including HAP, AARP PA, the Pennsylvania Medical Society, and the Pennsylvania School Boards Association—advocated for Senate Bill 780, legislation that would have helped many Pennsylvanians who are isolated, elderly, live in rural areas, lack transportation, or deal with chronic conditions. Despite unanimous support from the state Senate, the House Professional Licensure Committee, and powerful expert testimony about the quality and value of telemedicine, the bill failed to advance.
HAP and the hospital community will continue to champion the benefits of telemedicine and work with policymakers to find ways to increase access to—and insurance coverage for—this important service.
For more information about HAP’s telemedicine advocacy, contact Tim Ohrum, HAP’s vice president, grassroots advocacy, or Stephanie Watkins, HAP’s vice president, state legislative advocacy.