PA Health System Honored with Foster G. McGaw Prize for Excellence in Community Health Improvement
February 12, 2019
A Pennsylvania health system has received a prestigious national award for its efforts to improve the health and wellbeing of the families and the communities it serves. Penn Medicine Lancaster General Health (LG Health) has been named the 2018 Foster G. McGaw Prize winner, recognizing the system’s work to address Lancaster County’s social determinants of health and wellness needs.
Founded during 1986 by the American Hospital Association and the Baxter Allegiance Foundation, the Foster G. McGaw Prize honors hospital and health system work to address community health needs. Winners and finalists demonstrate leadership through:
- Proactive steps to understand its community’s unique needs
- Organizational commitment to community projects,
- A wide breadth of initiatives that go beyond in-hospital health care
- A focus on impact outside the hospital’s four walls
- Community response to the initiatives
Informed by its community health needs assessment (CHNA) and identified community needs, LG Health leveraged strategic partnerships to meet five goals:
- Improve the quality of health care by providing culturally competent services, preventive care, and addressing CHNA-identified special needs
- Spearhead the Let’s Talk, Lancaster Coalition to improve the mental health of Lancaster county residents
- Promote healthier diets and active lifestyles by working with schools, government, the business community, and religious and nonprofit organizations
- Address social determinants of health and improve whole-person health services for individuals with chronic illness and medically complex conditions
- Address the substance use disorder crisis through tobacco cessation initiatives and reduce opioid use through partnerships including the South Central Pennsylvania Opioid Awareness Coalition
LG Health was a Foster G. McGaw Prize finalist during 2009 and 2015. Crozer-Keystone Health System was the 2013 Foster G. McGaw Prize winner and The Children's Hospital of Philadelphia was a 2014 finalist.
Recipients receive a $100,000 award, which LG Health will use to support its community health projects. The Foster G. McGaw Prize is administered by the Health Research & Educational Trust.
For more information about Pennsylvania hospitals’ and health systems’ work to improve community health and wellness, contact Robert Shipp, HAP’s vice president, population health strategies.