HAP Achievement Award Spotlight: St. Luke’s Hospital – Quakertown Campus
February 01, 2019
St. Luke’s Hospital – Quakertown Campus was awarded HAP’s Optimal Operations 2018 Achievement Award for its Perioperative Services First Case Start Performance Improvement program. The program identified inefficiencies in the operating room schedule and, through examination, discovered that the first case of the day did not consistently start on time, impacting the schedule for the remainder of the day. In addition, because of deviations in the schedule, patient satisfaction also was affected, as well as professional staff’s time when procedures were off schedule.
The St. Luke’s team used a multidisciplinary approach to address efficiency concerns, reasons for delay, and interventions for improvement and time management, focusing on the first procedure of the day. This multidisciplinary approach is an excellent example of the value of team-based care, in which professionals with different strengths and skillsets convene to problem-solve.
Project goals were identified:
- To identify and decrease delays with first case starts
- To have patients prepared for surgery prior to admission 100 percent in regards to pre-admission testing and patient instructions/education
- To consistently achieve first case starts beginning on time at least 80 percent of the time
A comprehensive review of the workflow for all stages of surgical and procedural patient preparation was done and, through interventions, changes, and improvements, efficiency was enhanced. In addition:
- Collaborative meetings were held to review procedures and workflow
- Areas of concern were identified, as well as opportunities for improvement
- Brainstorming and creative solutions were discussed based on feasibility and functionality as solutions to problems were identified
Following this focused initiative by St. Luke’s team, first case procedures started 94 percent on time in the operating room and first case procedures continued to start on time at least 80 percent. A sustained goal of 80 percent was maintained for the following year.
The award-winning submission includes details to help improve on time first case starts in other organizations. Learn more about this successful program at HAP’s website.
Questions about the HAP Achievement Awards may be directed to HAP Member Services at (717) 561-5359.