HAP’s Leadership Summit Honors Hospital Grassroots Champion, Achievement Award Winners
May 22, 2018
As part of its 2018 Leadership Summit, HAP is proud to honor individuals and programs that are on the cutting edge of health care innovation. Honorees represent the best and brightest of care delivery, advocacy, and technological advances, and they are essential to fostering a robust hospital community in the commonwealth.
On May 21, HAP presented the 2017 Grassroots Champion Award to Alan Brechbill, Executive Director, Penn State Milton S. Hershey Medical Center. Facilitated by the American Hospital Association in partnership with HAP, the Grassroots Champion award recognizes hospital leaders who most effectively educate elected officials about how major issues affect hospitals’ vital roles in the community. Winners broaden the base of community support for their hospital, and are tireless advocates for their hospitals and patients.
Brechbill and his colleagues regularly travel to Harrisburg and Washington, D.C., helping lawmakers and their staff understand the importance of policies that ensure a strong hospital community.
Additionally, during 2017, the Penn State Milton S. Hershey Medical Center team engaged in an extensive list of advocacy efforts that included defending the Affordable Care Act from repeal; advocating for the 340B Drug Pricing Program; organizing an annual medical education program that brings lawmakers and staff to Hershey for a “mock medical school” program; and partnering with the HAP’s Healthy Me PA digital community to develop useful content, including a recent video highlighting its “Stop the Bleed” program.
On May 22, Leadership Summit attendees honored the 2018 Achievement Award winners. HAP’s prestigious Achievement Award program recognizes exceptional programs that innovate care delivery and improve the health of communities across the commonwealth. This year’s winners were originally announced May 10.
The 2018 HAP Achievement Award winners are:
Community Champions Award
- UPMC Cole, Coudersport, for Partnering For A Healthier Community
- UPMC Passavant, Pittsburgh, for It Takes a Village to Raise Awareness: Making Colon Cancer Screening Easy and Accessible
Optimal Operations Award
- St. Luke’s Hospital – Quakertown Campus, Quakertown, for Perioperative Services First Case Start Performance Improvement
- Bryn Mawr Rehab Hospital, Malvern, for 1 to 1 Supervision Reduction at an Acute Rehabilitation Hospital
- St. Luke’s Hospital – Allentown Campus, Allentown, for Improving Sepsis Core Measure Compliance through the use of a Predictive Analytic supported Sepsis Alert Protocol
In Safe Hands Award
- Cancer Treatment Centers of America at Eastern Regional Medical Center, Philadelphia, for Antimicrobial Stewardship Program (ASP) Eliminates Clostridium difficile Infections (CDI) in an Oncology Hospital
- UPMC St. Margaret, Pittsburgh, for Improving the Medication History Intake Process
- St. Luke's University Hospital, Bethlehem, for Save a Kidney-Orthopedic Total Joint Acute Kidney Injury Reduction
Excellence in Care Award
- Titusville Area Hospital, Titusville, for Enhancing Emergency Care: Because Seconds Count in an Emergency
- Washington Health System, Washington, for Ambulatory Heart Failure: Pathway to a Better Life
- St. Luke’s University Health Network, Bethlehem, for Don't Just Do Something - STAND THERE: Reducing Incidence of Pneumothoraces in High Risk Newborns
Living the Vision Award
- Jefferson Torresdale Hospital, Philadelphia, for Progressive Mobility: Evidence Based Program Improves Outcomes in Critically Ill Patients
For more information about the Grassroots Champion Award, contact Tim Ohrum, HAP’s vice president, grassroots advocacy. For more information about the Achievement Awards program, contact Daneen Schroder, HAP’s vice president, business development and member services.