HAP Achievement Awards Winner Spotlight: Mercy Health System of Southeastern PA
March 22, 2018
Incredible work is being done across the state as Pennsylvania hospitals work to improve the quality and safety of patient care. This week we’re sharing the award-winning program developed by Mercy Health System of Southeastern PA to push back against negative social determinants of health and reduce health disparities.
The effort, “Holistic Care Coordination: Caring for the Mind, Body and Spirit to Create a Healthier Pennsylvania,” earned HAP’s Living the Vision Award and illustrates how this effort reflects the goals of the State’s Triple Aim—improving population health and the patient experience, while reducing health care costs.
The Mercy team utilized the Population Health Social Worker and Community Health Worker dyad to create a system where patients can access treatments, services, and community resources to improve the overall health and well-being. The system emphasized reducing emergency department (ED) visits and hospitalizations as of indicators of cost management and appropriate use.
Some examples of the services, include:
- Providing continual intensive care coordination and psychosocial support to the patient and family, connecting patients to community resources, such as food banks
- Partnering with local libraries that provide free blood pressure and diabetic screening programs as preventative services for patients
- Conducting home visits, tracking ongoing assessments of the patient, and assisting with identifying resources beneficial to the patient
- Meeting with the patient in the primary care office and conducting a needs assessment addressing transportation, food, ability to pay for medications, and disease self-management
The results demonstrated the program’s success, including:
- Improved quality of life outcomes with decreased inappropriate utilization of the ED for the 125 patients served through this new model
- A 31.3 percent decrease in ED visits and a 36 percent decrease in hospitalizations, with an estimated pre/post cost savings estimated at $94,000 for the cohort group
- A 42 percent improvement from initial patient self-assessment to final self-assessment
Congratulations to Mercy Health System of Southeastern PA for receiving a 2017 HAP Achievement Award. Learn more about their effort as well as the other 2017 award-winning program on HAP’s website.
HAP recently issued its 2018 HAP Achievement Awards program’s call for entries in the following categories:
- Community Champions
- Optimal Operations
- In Safe Hands
- Excellence in Care
- Living the Vision
Entries are due March 23 and the winners will be recognized during a special award luncheon during the 2018 Leadership Summit.
Questions about the HAP Achievement Awards may be directed to HAP Member Services at (717) 561-5359.