DHS Creates New PASRR Website
May 19, 2017
The Pennsylvania Department of Human Services (DHS) has created a new website to assist hospitals in completing the Preadmission Screening and Resident Review (PASRR) for patients being discharged to a Medicaid-certified nursing facility. The PASRR process is a federal requirement to assess the patient’s needs to ensure the most appropriate setting.
The DHS website includes:
- Information on the PASRR process
- Access to PASRR forms
- Resource and training tools
- A contact list when needing assistance
PASRR is an important tool to support care for patients in their homes and to comply with the Supreme Court decision, Olmstead vs L.C. (1999), under the Americans with Disabilities Act. PASRR also advances person-centered care planning by assuring that psychological, psychiatric, and functional needs are considered along with personal goals and preferences in planning long-term care.
PASRR requires that all applicants to a Medicaid-certified nursing facility:
- Be evaluated for serious mental illness, intellectual disability and/or other related condition
- Be offered the most appropriate setting for their needs (in the community, a nursing facility, or acute care settings)
- Receive the services they need in those settings
For more information on PASRR process, contact Ruth Anne Barnard, DHS PASRR coordinator, at (717) 214-3736.